Two Stage Adaptations for Children
Kenneth Grahame’s much-loved tale of Toad, Mole, Rat and Badger and their adventures, in two separate stage adaptations for children:
- Small-scale, 50-minute, stage play version (4 actors).
- Full-length musical version (8 actors, and suitable for children in supporting roles)
1. Small-scale, Stage Play Version of The Wind in the Willows
- Cast of just 4 actors
- A 50-minute stage adaptation of the familiar Toad story
- Specially commissioned by the Bank of England Museum to celebrate its quatercentenary.
- Bank of England Museum,1994
- The River and Rowing Museum, Henley-on-Thames, 2005
- The Inland Waterways Narrow Boat Festival, 2006
- farnhamrep, December 2010.
Playwright and Composer
This shorter, stage play, adaptation for children of The Wind in the Willows was written by David Gooderson with incidental music by Stephen Baker.
2. Full-length Musical Version of The Wind in the Willows
- A dozen catchy songs by award-winning composer, Carl Davis
- Plenty of jokes, comedy business and audience participation while still remaining faithful to the book
- Cast of only 8 (plus opportunities for children to play rabbits, weasels, etc.)
- It’s stood the test of time – first produced in 1985, it’s still delighting audiences and has twice broken box office records (Birmingham Repertory Theatre, 1991 and Open Air Theatre, Regent’s Park, London, 2004).
A nice clear, jaunty Wind in the Willows
Benedict Nightingale, The Times
Big, bright and very broad.
Lyn Gardner, The Guardian
Fresh, intelligent and a visual delight
Carl Davis’ music mixes jollity with mock operatics.
Helen Chappell, What’s On
Selected as one of the top five shows to see in London (The Times, 30th July 2005)
- Leicester Haymarket Theatre, 1985
- The Mermaid Theatre, London, 1986
- The Vaudeville Theatre, London, and national tour, 1987
- Chichester Festival Theatre, 1988
- Birmingham Repertory Theatre, 1991 (broke box office records)
- Open Air Theatre, Regent’s Park, London, 2004 (broke box office records) and 2005.
Playwrights and Composer
This full-length musical adaptation for children of The Wind in the Willows was co-written by David Conville and David Gooderson with music by Carl Davis.
For all enquiries about performing rights for both these plays for children, whether professional or amateur, contact David’s Literary Agent:
Mike Sharland at The Sharland Organisation
No public performance of either play can be given unless a licence is obtained before rehearsals begin.